Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Isaac *still* a tropical storm



Tuesday morning (28th): I got up this morning and the first thing I did was check the weather. The much anticipated strengthening of Isaac to hurricane status did NOT happen overnight as was expected. It's still right on the edge with winds of 70 mph and gusts to 85 mph. The forward speed has also slowed to 7 mph. As landfall is supposed to happen overnight tonight it has one more day to pull its act together and tighten up an eye. For once, the computer models are all in agreement about landfall which should happen around the toe of LA. It looks like landfall will be after midnight, putting it on the 29th and the 7th anniversary of Katrina. I'm sure there will not be fireworks in the streets of New Orleans.

Visible Satellite
Is it opening its eye??

This morning it's a little breezy with winds out of the NE. There are some upper-level clouds advancing out of the SE, precursors of the rain bands to come later today. Interestingly, the vast majority of the thunderstorm activity seems to be on the S and SW sides of Isaac, quite unusual. Usually you would have very heavy bands raking the coast to the E and NE of the center. I'm not sure if this will change as it moves ashore.

The slow movement is the worrisome thing here:

Heavy Rain Threat

We're not in a low area, near a river, etc. I think we can expect our back yard to turn into a lake though.

1 comment:

nonna said...

I haven't decided if I'm proud they gave this storm my son's name or not... :)