Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cloud-Watching at the Beach

There have been some lovely clouds here while we've been at the beach (AL coast).

First day we were here. I hadn't allowed the camera to fully acclimate.


Cumulonimbus over Mobile Bay

This shower actually caught up to us before we got inside.

Love the contrast. We had a lot of rain off and on the beginning of the week.

shower looking north over Mobile Bay

lovely mackerel sky

Not that this has anything to do with meteorology, but it's my blog and I can put whatever I want on it: I was very disappointed the first few nights we were here were so cloudy. I had brought my binoculars (very nice ones) and star charts so I could take advantage of the low light pollution. The last two nights, however, were very clear and I was able to see quite a lot. Sagittarius is prominently in the south and it's a busy area. Lots of open and globular clusters, several nebulae and just generally a lot of stars (right in the Milky Way). I saw the Lagoon Nebula and M22 for the first time. (;

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

what neat pictures!!!